Preschool teacher with six students in school hallway

Certification & Licensure

Position Statement on Certification Standards for School Social Workerslicensed certified

by the New York State School Social Workers’ Association

Click Here for Statement

Certification Requirements

In order to be a School Social Worker in a NYS Public School setting, you must first obtain at least a Licensed Master Social Worker license in order to obtain a provisional certificate.   See below.

The certification process is controlled by the New York State Education Department (NYSED).  When visiting the New York State Department of Education website, school social workers’ information can be found under the Pupil Personnel Services designation.  After 2 years of service you will be eligible to apply for a permanent certificate.   Additional requirements include completion of a 3 hour Child Protective course, a 3 hour School Safety Course and a 6 hour Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) course.  Please use the links below for additional information and requirements.

Read Details >


New York State offers 3 forms of social work licensure:

Read Details:


Certification:  Contact NYSED at

Licensure:  Contact the Office of the Professions, Division of Professional Licensing Services:

Please provide your name, the last 4 digits of your social security number, date of birth, and the name of the profession in any correspondence.


Practice Alerts and Guidelines from NYSED Office of the Professions for Social Workers

Click Here To Read More >

NYSSSWA Welcomes New School Social Workers

The New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers in New York State.  Support your profession and join today!

Learn More About The Benefits Included in a Membership!

Register and Join   NYSSSWA or   Renew your membership Today!