The Truth About SEL: It Works “Despite political attacks, support for social and emotional learning is strong. But schools and educators should never stop championing its importance.” According to the article, there are 3 “Key Takeaways:
- Some activists have tried to make social and emotional learning the latest target in the education “culture wars,” but polls consistently show that parents overwhelming support SEL.
- Research shows that SEL has a positive impact on student emotional well-being and academic performance.
- Educators should always be proactive in communicating the benefits of SEL and why it is a priority in their classrooms.
Aaliyah Samuels, President & CEO of CASEL also provides 6 steps “educators can take to share accurate information and real stories about social and emotional learning.” Read More. Source: Walker, Tim. 1/19/2023. The Truth About SEL: It Works. NEA Today.
- CASEL The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) is a trusted source for knowledge about high-quality, evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL). CASEL supports educators and policy leaders and enhances the experiences and outcomes for all PreK-12 students.
- EASEL Lab. The Ecological Approaches to Social Emotional Learning (EASEL) Laboratory, led by Dr. Stephanie Jones of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, explores the effects of high-quality social-emotional interventions on the development and achievement of children, youth, teachers, parents, and communities. Harvard University
- Equity and SEL CASEL provides a framework on how implementing SEL also addresses Equity. Source: CASEL
- Navigating SEL from the Inside Out: Looking inside and across 25 leading SEL Programs: A Practical Resource for Schools and OST Providers. (Elementary School Focus) This report reviews 25 leading SEL programs including evidence of effectiveness, content, and how they may align with specific missions or SEL goals/needs as well as SEL and “Out of School Time”. 348 pages. Source: Jones, S., Brush, K. Bailey, R. et.al. 3/2017 Harvard Graduate School of Education funding from The Wallace Foundation
- School Social Work Standards for Social Emotional Learning Provides goals by Pre K-Early Elementary , Late Elementary-Middle School, and High School levels. Aligned with CASEL. Source: School Social Work Association of America
- Social-Emotional Learning: What Products and Programs Do Districts Want? “The report offers key insights into how school districts are judging social-emotional products and programs in the market, and what they’re looking for as they deepen their commitment to supporting students’ well-being in innovative ways.” NOTE: You must subscribe to access report. Source: Cavanagh, S. 10/16/2020 EdWeek Market Brief
- Special Report: What Do School Districts Want from SEL Products and Programs? Source: Cavanagh, J. 12/14/2022 Education Week
- Three Ways to Avoid Hurdles for Social Emotional Learning Ideas on how to address pushback against social-emotional learning. Source: Langreo. L. 9/26/2022. Education Week
- 72 FREE Social Emotional Learning Activities. Can be filtered by skill. Source: Centervention
- Be Strong, Be Mean or Give In Role Play Source: Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility
- Emotional ABC’s Free for Educators a “research-based Social Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum providing teachers (K–3) with 20 sequential Workshops and extensive classroom support materials” Source: Emotional ABC’s
- “Howard B. Wigglebottom” Preschool and Elementary books, animated books, songs, posters and lessons. Source: How Do We Listen Foundation
- Mindfulness Classes for Kids (FREE for now) Live- on-line: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays at 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Remote Learning FREE SEL Resources. Free Resources Source: Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- Role Play as an SEL Teaching Tool Article. Source: Valdes, K. 3/30/2017. Edutopia
- Therapist Aid. “FREE evidence-based education and therapy tools.” Easy to use access to on-line worksheets, interactives, videos, guides, etc. Search by topic, age level and/or tool. Source: Therapist Aid
- SEL Home Learning Packet supports Social Emotional Learning. FREE This take home packet includes 7 pages of activities to encourage students to find calming activities at home. (2nd – 8th Grade) Source: Teachers Pay Teachers
- SEL Activities & Lessons Source: Greater Good in Education
- SEL & Restorative Practices Active site using current events and teachable moments. Source: Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility
- Social Emotional Learning Activities (FREE) Source: Centervention
- SEL: Teach Deep Breathing Activity 5/2/2018 Source: Woerkom, M. 1/3/2019. Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility
- Using Self Talk to Calm Down Source: Woerkom, M. 1/3/2019. Morningside Center for Teaching Social Responsibility
- What Does SEL Mean Anyway? 7 Experts Break it Down Source: Prothera. A. 12/27/2022. EducationWeek
SEL During COVID-19:
- CASEL: Reunite, Renew, Thrive. Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Roadmap for Reopening School More than 40 organizations have come together to produce this roadmap to support the return to school with equity-focused SEL strategies centered on relationships and built on the existing strengths of a school community. Schools—in partnerships with their communities, districts, and states—can use these four SEL Critical Practices to foster the competencies and learning environments that students and adults need
to reunite, renew, and thrive.52 pages. Source: 7/2020 CASEL
- How to Teach Social-Emotional Learning When Students Aren’t in School Source: Prothero, Adrianna. 3/20/2020. EdWeek
- Leaning on Social Emotional Learning Amid the COVID-19 Crisis. Source: Cipriano, C. & Brackett, M. March 18, 2020. EdSurge.
- Providing Effective Social–Emotional and Behavioral Supports After COVID-19 Closures: Universal Screening and Tier 1 Interventions. Source: 2020. NASP (Retrieved 8/11/2020)
- SEL Resources During COVID-19 Source: Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- Social Emotional Learning and School Re-Opening. A Guide for Schools. Source: Prothero, A. 7/14/2020. EdWeek
- Supporting Our Kids From a Distance: Tools & Strategies to Provide SEL & SpEd Services by Eric Santos & Marjorie Colindres. 3/31/2020. School Social Work Network. In this Zoom workshop, Technology Learning Coach Eric Santos and School Social Worker and SSWN Senior Contributor Marjorie Colindres provide a range of online tools and strategies that School Social Workers can use to provide services to their students and families during the COVID-19 crisis. It also includes a list of SEL resources.