School Social Work Certification


Position Statement on Certification Standards for School Social Workers

by the New York State School Social Workers’ Association

Click here to download

Certification Requirements

In order to be a School Social Worker in a NYS Public School setting, you will need to obtain a provisional certificate as a School Social Worker. When visiting the New York State Department of Education website, school social workers’ information can be found under the Pupil Personnel Services designation. After 2 years of service you will be eligible to apply for a permanent certificate. Each of these certificates has a list of requirements which we offer access to through the links below.

Provisional Certification:

To Access Guidelines go to:

  • School Social Workers are included in the drop down for Administrators and Pupil Personnel Services
  • Under Subject area you will find “Social Worker”
  • Under Select a Grade Level Certification for Social Workers is for grades “Pre K-12” All Grades
  • Under Title is “School Social Worker”
  • Select Type of Certificate interested in

Please note:

  • As a requirement of the certification process you must obtain a Licensed Master Social Worker.
  • Workshop – Child Abuse Identification (2 clock hours)
  • Workshop – School Violence Intervention and Prevention (2 clock hours)
  • Workshop – Dignity For All Students Act   (6 clock hours)
  • Finger printing clearance    See Instructions

Permanent Certification:

To Access Guidelines go to:

  • To progress to a Permanent Certificate, the applicant must hold a valid Provisional Certificate in the title of the Permanent Certificate sought. i.e. “School Social Worker”.
  • Paid, full-time Pupil Personnel experience – School Social Worker – 2 Yr
  • Citizenship Status – INS Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship


Contact NYSED at

Practice Alerts and Guidelines from NYSED Office of the Professions for Social Workers:

Click Here