Parent Resources for Children with Special Needs
If you have a child with a disability who is just entering school or changing levels, be sure to contact your district’s Special Education Director for assistance. If you are struggling to get resources and/or services from your local school district, ask to speak with the School Social Worker in your school who can also assist you in navigating the district maze.
- 20 Useful Apps for Kids with Learning Disabilities Source: WizCase
- Autism Resources Source: Autism Society
- Coronavirus Social Stories: Elementary
- My Coronavirus Story: Source: Easter Seals: Illinois Autism Partnership.
- Brain Pop: Coronavirus Source: Brain Pop.
- COVID-19 Resources and Guidance for Parents, Students & Educators. Source: Learning Disabilities Association of America
- COVID-19 Resources for Parents, Families & Youth. A “collection of resources below includes videos, toolkits, activities to use at home and more to support parents and caregivers and their children during the COVID-19 pandemic.” Source: National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
- Down Syndrome Resources Source: National Down Syndrome Society
- Giving Kids with ADHD Support and Structure During the Coronavirus Crisis Source: Child Mind Institute
- Special Health Care Needs Source: Family Voices
- Your Child with a Disability – Source: SPAN Parent Advocacy Network
Special Ed. Legal Resources During COVID-19
- Education Department Addresses Special Ed Concerns During COVID-19 Guidance issued regarding IFSPs and services designed to prepare those with disabilities for employment. Source: Diament, M. 11/2/2020. Disability Scoop
- Feds Weigh In On Special Ed, Medicaid Concerns Over Coronavirus Source: Michelle Diament | 3/13/2020 | Disability Scoop.
- OCR Short Webinar on Online Education and Website Accessibility – YouTube Source: Office of Civil Rights.
- OSEP guidance on virtual schools Source: 2016. U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education & Rehabilitative Services.
- Q & A on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Outbreak Source: 3/2020. U.S. Department of Education.
- Schools & Coronavirus: What You Should Know Source: NEA Today, 3/8/2020 Includes numerous links to CDC articles and other education organizations.
- SMART Goals Worksheet-Example The purpose of this handout is to assist an IEP team with making a SMART goal for a student’s IEP. The chart has an example that IEP teams can use to assist them in making a personalized SMART goal for a student. Source: Kevin Tan, University of Illinois
- Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Serving Children with Disabilities Source: 3/21/2020. U.S. Department of Education.
- Wading through a Sea of Ambiguity: Charting a Course for Special Education Services During a Pandemic WEBINAR Source: National Association of School Psychologists