Welcome to NYSSSWA!
Connecting with and serving students, families and schools, the New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only NYS professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers and the students and families that we serve. Be sure to check out our Advocacy pages for state and federal updates, our Calendar of Events for Professional Development opportunities as well as our members only Resources specific to assisting school social workers in their practice.
Role of SCHOOL
School Social Workers, in New York State, are licensed mental health professionals as well as certified by the NYS Office of Teaching as School Social Workers. Responsibilities include:
- Conflict mediation & resiliency building
- Community referral and liaison
- Crisis Intervention
- Violence Prevention/Intervention
- Youth suicide prevention & intervention
Board in Action
Priorities that we are addressing now:
- New York School Superintendents Recognize the Need to Support Mental Health Services
- Proposed Counseling Amendments. See NYSSSWA President’s Request for Action
- NYSUT adoption of policies that support School Social Work
- Identifying mental health needs and services as a critical component of a Safe Schools Plan in NYS
- See New York State Legislative News for 2017 updates