Welcome to NYSSSWA!
Connecting with and serving students, families and schools, the New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only NYS professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers and the students and families that we serve. Be sure to check out our Advocacy pages for state and federal updates, our Calendar of Events for Professional Development opportunities as well as our members only Resources specific to assisting school social workers in their practice.
IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE
School Social Work Bill
On February 12, 2018 NY Assembly Assistant Speaker Félix W. Ortiz (D-Kings) along with Senator Jesse Hamilton held a press conference with leaders of the New York State School Social Workers’ Association, as well as the National Association of Social Workers-New York State and New York City Chapters to introduce Bill A09533, legislation mandating school districts to provide students access to a school social worker. See details. NYSSSWA at work for you!
Sadly, Tragedy Strikes Again
Guidelines for Talking to Children About Terrorist Attacks and School & Community Shootings in the News. Source: National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement
Tips for Talking With and Helping Children and Youth Cope After a Disaster or Traumatic Event Source: SAMHSA See also NYSSSWA’s collection of Crisis Response Resources.
Role of SCHOOL
School Social Workers, in New York State, are licensed mental health professionals as well as certified by the NYS Office of Teaching as School Social Workers. Responsibilities include:
- Conflict mediation & resiliency building
- Community referral and liaison
- Crisis Intervention
- Violence Prevention/Intervention
- Youth suicide prevention & intervention
Board in Action
Priorities that we are addressing now:
- See New York State Legislative News for 2018 updates
- New York School Superintendents Recognize the Need to Support Mental Health Services
- Proposed Counseling Amendments. Read more.
- NYSUT adoption of policies that support School Social Work
- Identifying mental health needs and services as a critical component of a Safe Schools Plan in NYS
February 22, 2018
Mid-Hudson Dinner Meeting
March 4 – 10, 2018
National School Social Work Week
March 16, 2018
Superintendent’s Conference Day for Social Workers
May 4, 2018
Western Region Luncheon Save Date
May 18-19, 2018
NYSSSWA Board Meeting