Welcome to NYSSSWA!
Connecting with and serving students, families and schools, the New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only NYS professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers and the students and families that we serve. Be sure to check out our Advocacy pages for state and federal updates, our Calendar of Events for Professional Development opportunities as well as our members only Resources specific to assisting school social workers in their practice.
Coronavirus Response Resources: Click here.
Includes resources specific to School Social Workers, New York State, as well as parents.
Crisis Response Resources:
NYSSSWA has compiled and re-categorized numerous Crisis Response Resources to better assist you.
Role of a SCHOOL
School Social Workers, in New York State, are licensed mental health professionals as well as certified by the NYS Office of Teaching as School Social Workers. Responsibilities include:
- Conflict mediation & resiliency building
- Community referral and liaison
- Crisis Intervention
- Violence Prevention/Intervention
- Youth suicide prevention & intervention
Board in Action
Priorities we are addressing now:
- See New York State Legislative News
- New York School Superintendents Recognize the Need to Support Mental Health Services
- NYSUT adoption of policies that support School Social Work
- Identifying mental health needs and services as a critical component of a Safe Schools Plan in NYS
- NYSSSWA In Action: NY Safety Task Force Meetings 8/9/19
- NY State School Social Work Week Resolution 3/4/2020
The NYC Comptroller Scott M. Stringer released a 52 page report reviewing current data related to school safety in New York City along with recommendations including adding MORE school social workers. See Executive Summary and Full Report. Source: June 18, 2018, NYC Comptroller, Scott M. Stringer
Read More >
National School Social Work News
- SSWAA FAQ from COVID-19 Webinar 19 pages
- SSWAA Response to COVID-19 Health Crisis and the Role of SSWs
- SSWAA COVID-19 Webinar 3/19/2020
- SSWs Addressing School Dropout Crisis 3/8/2020
- Read More SSWAA Articles.
- Back to School with School Social Workers National campaign to promote SSW services (8/2019-6/2020)
Articles/Resources of Interest
- Coronavirus Resource Page Ongoing
- Supporting Queer Youth in Schools Using an Multi Tiered Approach 3/9/2020
- Challenges grow for school social workers...Article with NYSSSWA’s Peg Barrett & Joan Conti 6/2019
- Schools need more mental health not police. 3/4/2019
- New York State Emotional Learning Benchmarks
- Mental Health Education Literacy in Schools: (NYSED 7/2018)