Welcome to NYSSSWA!
Connecting with and serving students, families and schools, the New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only NYS professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers and the students and families that we serve. Be sure to check out our Advocacy pages for state and federal updates, our Calendar of Events for Professional Development opportunities as well as our members only Resources specific to assisting school social workers in their practice.
School Social Work Bill
On February 12, 2018 NY Assembly Assistant Speaker Félix W. Ortiz (D-Kings) along with Senator Jesse Hamilton (D-Brooklyn) held a press conference with leaders of the New York State School Social Workers’ Association, as well as the National Association of Social Workers-New York State and New York City Chapters to introduce Bill A09533, legislation mandating school districts to provide students access to a school social worker. NYSSSWA at work for you!
Role of a SCHOOL
School Social Workers, in New York State, are licensed mental health professionals as well as certified by the NYS Office of Teaching as School Social Workers. Responsibilities include:
- Conflict mediation & resiliency building
- Community referral and liaison
- Crisis Intervention
- Violence Prevention/Intervention
- Youth suicide prevention & intervention
Board in Action
Priorities we are addressing now:
- See New York State Legislative News for 2018 updates
- New York School Superintendents Recognize the Need to Support Mental Health Services
- Proposed Counseling Amendments. Read more.
- NYSUT adoption of policies that support School Social Work
- Identifying mental health needs and services as a critical component of a Safe Schools Plan in NYS
The NYC Comptroller Scott M. Stringer released a 52 page report reviewing current data related to school safety in New York City along with recommendations including adding MORE school social workers. See Executive Summary and Full Report. Source: June 18, 2018, NYC Comptroller, Scott M. Stringer
Read More >
National School Social Work News
School Social Work Association of America Articles:
- “13 Reasons Why” 2nd Season Response Statement (June, 2018)
- SSWAA’s Statement on Executive Order on Immigration (February 9, 2017)
- SSWAA’s Letter of Response to National Divisions (November 16, 2016)
See more Federal News & Advocacy.Read More >
Articles/Resources of Interest
- 2nd Edition: “After a Suicide Toolkit” (April, 2018)
- NEW–Evidence Based Resource Center Source: SAMHSA
See other resources by clicking “Read More”Read More >