Welcome to NYSSSWA!
Connecting with and serving students, families and schools, the New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only NYS professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers and the students and families that we serve. Be sure to check out our Advocacy pages for state and federal updates, our Calendar of Events for Professional Development opportunities as well as our members only Resources specific to assisting school social workers in their practice.
Many School Social Workers are assisting school districts in providing food/meals to students and families. Governor Cuomo has recently highlighted the food insecurity needs at a state level and is asking for assistance. You and others can help by donating directly to “Feeding New York State”.
Let us know how you are providing services during this pandemic—send pictures too!
Role of a SCHOOL
School Social Workers, in New York State, are licensed mental health professionals as well as certified by the NYS Office of Teaching as School Social Workers. Responsibilities include:
- Conflict mediation & resiliency building
- Community referral and liaison
- Crisis Intervention
- Violence Prevention/Intervention
- Youth suicide prevention & intervention
Board in Action
Priorities we are addressing now:
- See New York State Legislative News
- New York School Superintendents Recognize the Need to Support Mental Health Services
- NYSUT adoption of policies that support School Social Work
- Identifying mental health needs and services as a critical component of a Safe Schools Plan in NYS
- NYSSSWA In Action: NY Safety Task Force Meetings 8/9/19
- NY State School Social Work Week Resolution 3/4/2020
National School Social Work News
- SSWAA Response to COVID-19 Health Crisis and the Role of SSWs
- SSWAA FAQ from COVID-19 Webinar 19 pages
- Staying Sane in Quarantine by Jim Raines.5/1/2020
- SSWAA COVID-19 Webinar 3/19/2020
- How to Empower Families and Bring Joy During a Pandemic. 4/14/2020.
- Read More SSWAA Articles.
- Back to School with School Social Workers National campaign to promote SSW services (8/2019-6/2020)
Articles/Resources of Interest
- Domestic Violence: How Victims of Domestic Violence Can Afford Transitional Housing.4/2/2020
Korean SSWs Respond to COVID-19 5/16/2020.
Western NY SSWs helping students cope 4/2/2020. WGRZ-TV
- COVID-19 International SSW Special Edition 4/30/2020
- Coronavirus Resource Web Pages Ongoing
- Challenges grow for school social workers. Article with NYSSSWA’s Peg Barrett & Joan Conti 6/2019