Article written by the New York State School Social Workers’ Association, August 7, 2020 (Click title)
Your Membership Dollars At Work!
- Organization Tips for School Social Workers Source: Hauer, C. 10/22/2020. SSWAA
- SSWAA Response to COVID-19 Health Crisis and the Role of School Social Workers Position Statement. Source: SSWAA
- SSWAA FAQ from COVID-19 Webinar 19 pages of Important Information 3/26/2020 Source: SSWAA
- SSWAA COVID-19 FAQ Qualifiers 2 pages. Source: McCoy, C. & Ochocki, S. 2020. SSWAA
- SSWAA April Featured Article: Creating Hope Through Connection: How to Empower Families and Bring Joy During a Pandemic. Source: Kaplan, J. 4/14/2020. SSWAA
School Social Work Services During COVID
- School Social Work in the Time of COVID-19: When Human-Centered Work Moved Online Based on experiences in the San Francisco Unified School District. Source: July, 2020. U.S. Department of Education/Regional Education Laboratory-West
- “A Day In the Life of A School Social Worker: The pandemic made a tough job even harder” Focuses on a School Social Worker from Schenectady, New York. Source: Barmore, P. April 29, 2022. Hechinger Report
- How Schools Can Build a Culture of Support for Educator Mental Health. Source: Lee, Diana, 4/29/2022. EdSurge: Teaching & Learning
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Student Absences Source: Lieberman, M. 10/16/2020 Ed Week
- 60 Minutes Interview with School Social Worker “School Districts Saw Unprecedented Drop in Enrollment During Pandemic” As school started this fall during the pandemic, some of the largest school districts saw an unprecedented decrease in student enrollment.” Sharyn Alfonsi interviews School Social Worker, Laura Tucker from the Hillsborough County School District on how districts mobilized to get kids in school this fall. Source: Alfonsi, Sharyn. 11/22/2020. CBS News–60 Minutes.
- 4 Keys to Making On-Line Learning Work Source: Spangenberg, J, 7/23/2020. SmartBrief
- Can Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports Adapt to Remote Learning? Source: Sparks, S. 10/16/2020. EdWeek
- Coronavirus COVID-19: 8 Ethical Considerations for Social Workers Source: NASW
- COVID-19 Resources for Social Workers & Therapists. Source: Social Work Career
- Evictions: “A Wave of Evictions is on the Horizon. What Impact Could They Have on Kids’ Education?” 60 Minutes Overtime interviews School Social Worker Laura Tucker from the Hillsborough County School District on the impact of evictions on students and families. Source: Farmer, Britt. 11/22/2020. CBS 60 Minutes Overtime
- “Feeding New York State”. This link will connect you to sources of food in your area to assist families.
- Free Online Resources for Educators, Parents & Students. Source: AFT
- International Network for School Social Work COVID-19 Special Edition. This newsletter highlights School Social Work services mostly here in the states including reference to New York SSW Services as well as Finland. Source: Marion Huxtable. 4/30/2020. International Network for School Social Work
- NASW’s resources Supporting Clients Source: National Association of Social Workers
- A Trauma-Informed Approach to Teaching Through Coronavirus. Experts from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network share their recommendations for educators supporting students during the COVID-19 crisis. Source: 3/23/2020. Teaching Tolerance
- 7 science-based strategies to cope with coronavirus anxiety Source: Beth Daley| March 10, 2020 | The Conversation
- Korea SSWs respond to COVID-19 Source: 5/16/2020. International Network for School Social Work Newsletter
- Prioritizing Children and their Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic (U.S. & Finland) Source: 4/2020. International Network for School Social Work Newsletter
Mental Health During COVID-19
- Click Here for page of Mental Health Resources.
Referral Forms/Questionnaires/Feedback/Needs Assessment
- Student Self Report K-12 Example Example modules created by Rami Benbenisthy, Ron Avi Astor and Kate Watson, PhD. Student at UCLA, to help schools gather needed information from students surrounding the COVID19 situation. Source: Ron Astor. UCLA
- Parent Questionnaire Example Example modules created by Rami Benbenisthy, Ron Avi Astor and Kate Watson, PhD. Student at UCLA, to help schools gather needed information from parents surrounding the COVID19 situation. Source: Ron Astor. UCLA
- Teachers K-12 Questionnaire Example Example modules created by Rami Benbenisthy, Ron Avi Astor and Kate Watson, PhD. Student at UCLA, to help schools gather needed information from educators surrounding the COVID19 situation. Source: Ron Astor. UCLA
Click Here for page on Self Care Resources.
Just the Facts:
Use reliable resources for the facts on COVID-19
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources:
- Click Here for page of SEL Resources.
- Active Coping Calendar Source: Action for Happiness
- Calm Down Strategies–Problem Solving Wheel & Anger Wheel of Choice FREE Source: Teaching with Happiness–Teachers Pay Teachers
- Kindness 101 with Steve Hartman 25-30 minute character education videos. Source: Spring 2020 CBSNews
- P.O.I.N.T Problem Solving Activity Sheet Source: Grand Haven School District.
- Skills Group Manual: Grades 6 – 8. 10 Session Manual. Source: TRAILS. University of Michigan.
- The Anxiety Workbook for Teens. (186 pages of activities.) Source: Schwab, L. 2008. Instant Help Books.
- Dealing with Coronavirus-COVID-19 YouTube Video Source: Kati Morton, LMFT. UNICEF, Tonyeh Media.
- Depression–YouTube film by a teen regarding Behavioral Activation Source: TRAILs, University of Michigan
- Skills Group Manual: Grades 9 – 12 Source: TRAILS. University of Michigan
- S.T.E.E.R. The STEER process was developed to help you identify and change your patterns of behavior by changing your thought patterns. Source: Grand Haven School District.
- 25 Amazing Coping Skills YouTube Video (She has several videos.) Source: Kati Morton, LMFT. Tonyeh Media.
TV Coverage of NY School Social Work Services
“Western New York school social workers helping students cope through virtual meetings, counseling sessions” Source: April 2, 2020 WGTC-Channel 2, Buffalo, New York
Many School Social Workers are assisting school districts in providing food/meals to students and families. Governor Cuomo has highlighted the food insecurity needs at a state level and is asking for assistance. You and others can help by donating directly to “Feeding New York State”. This link will also connect you to sources of food in your area to assist families.
Let us know how you are providing services during this pandemic—send pictures too!
National Domestic Violence Hotline. Advocates are available 24/7 at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) in over 170 languages. All calls are confidential and anonymous.
CRISIS TEXT LINE can be reached by texting HOME to 741741 and via Facebook Messenger from the organization’s website. “The ingredients for an increase in intimate partner violence are clear. Survivors are more isolated, their abusive partners are under more stress, and the options for escape have become more limited amid the outbreak.” (Axios)
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Disaster Distress Hotline: Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. Our texting service also is available to Spanish speakers. Text “Hablanos” to 66746 for 24/7 emotional support. TTY for Deaf/Hearing Impaired: 1-800-846-8517”
Call a Suicide Lifeline:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK or 1-800-273-8255
Suicide Prevention Center Hotline: 1-877-7-CRISIS or 1-877-727-4747
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
Trevor Lifeline – LGBTQ 1-866-488-7386
Teen Line 1-800-TLC-TEEN or 1-800-852-8336
Veterans & Military Families 1-800-273-8255 Press 1
Response Resources: NYSSSWA Membership Dollars At Work
The New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers in New York State. Members are essential to our ability to support you and our profession. If you are not a member, join us today so we can continue to provide advocacy and services on your behalf.