Children today are increasingly victims of many social forces that negatively affect their lives and role as students. The family is in a state of change and until it becomes stabilized, in whatever form, children’s unmet physical and emotional needs will continue to interfere with their ability to learn and adjust in school.
School Social Workers
- bring unique knowledge and skills to the school system and the pupil services/Specialized Instructional Support Personnel team and
- are instrumental in furthering the purpose of schools to provide a setting for teaching, learning, and the attainment of competence and confidence.
- enhance the district’s ability to meet its academic mission, by maintaining and enhancing the mental, emotional, behavioral, cognitive and social functioning of student learners.
- promote the development of a positive school environment that supports a sense of belonging and connectedness, the development of positive relationships, enhanced self-esteem and empowerment that benefits the student, the school and broader community.
- bring their unique skills, abilities and a systems perspective to act as a consultant to teachers, parents and others to facilitate the understanding of how factors in the home, school and community affect student learner outcome
- are specifically trained to understand and address various forms of trauma within systems as well as with students and families.
School social workers are licensed mental health professionals as well as certified pupil personal providers with unique and diverse skills. School social workers who are licensed as a Clinical Social Worker can diagnose mental, emotional, behavioral, addictive and developmental disorders and disabilities.
See NYSSSWA’s pages About School Social Work as well as the Role of School Social Workers for information regarding the various roles School Social Workers play with students, parents, communities, school personnel, etc.
Why Do We Need More School Social Workers?
See articles addressing the need for more School Social Workers.
What is the Effectiveness of School Social Work?
See web page that includes research articles regarding the effectiveness and use of School Social Workers. (Members Only)