When Should I Get Counseling for My Child?

When Should I Get Counseling for My Child?

Here are resources that can provide you with some information when you are concerned about your child.   Ask to see your school’s School Social Worker to assist you in exploring your specific concerns as well as discuss possible strategies and/or resources to support you and/or your child.

Student with emotional concernsChild Mind Institute:  Tools for parents worried about a child’s mood, behavior, or success in school. Including  Mental Health guidesSymptom Checker,  Developmental Milestones,  Guide to Getting Good Care, Topics A – Z  and  Glossary  of useful terms.

Kids Mental Health Info:   How do I know when to worry about my child’s mental health? Who do I turn to for help? How do I know if my child needs help right away? Find answers to these and other Frequently Asked Questions.

National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health  http://www.ffcmh.org/   The National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health is a national family-run organization linking more than 120 chapters and state organizations focused on the issues of children and youth with emotional, behavioral, or mental health needs and their families. The National Federation works to develop and implement policies, legislation, funding mechanisms, and service systems that utilize the strengths of families. Its emphasis on advocacy offers families a voice in the formation of national policy, services and supports for children with mental health needs and their families.

Treatment of Children with Mental Illness:  Answers to frequently asked questions from parents about the treatment of mental disorders in children.  The National Institute of Mental Health offers a 6 page fact sheet that addresses common questions about diagnosis and treatment options for children with mental illnesses. Disorders affecting children may include anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorders, bipolar disorder, depression, eating disorders, and schizophrenia.

How Can I Help My Child Cope?

With Injury, Hospitalization and/or  Trauma    Handouts in English and Spanish to assist parents in helping their child to cope.