Establishing School Policies to Protect Immigrant Students
Resources to Assist Schools in Responding to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Raids
- “10 Strategies for How Schools Should Respond to Help Children Impacted by ICE Raids” You can also download Infographic in English and Spanish. Source: Intercultural Development Research Association (IDRA), August, 2019
- As threat of ICE raids increases, schools can take steps to put students at ease This article provides steps schools can take, the rights of undocumented students as well as SEL practices schools can put in place to assist undocumented students. Source: By Naaz Modan, August 8, 2019, Education Dive
- “Guidelines for Identifying Humanitarian Concerns among Administrative Arrestees When Conducting Worksite Enforcement Operations” Source: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Cited in “ICE Raids Send Schools Scrambling” U.S. News & World Report
- “How Should Schools Respond to ICE Raids: Some Advice” Source: Education Week, August, 2019
- “ICE Raids Send Schools Scrambling” By Lauren Camera, Education Reporter:Aug. 8, 2019, U.S. News & World Report
- ICE Policy Memo: Enforcement Actions at or Focused on Sensitive Locations “designed to ensure that these enforcement actions do not occur at nor are focused on sensitive locations such as schools and churches” unless certain circumstances exist. This 2011 memo was recirculated in August 2016 by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security” August, 2019. Source: Cited by the Intercultural Development Research Association (IDRA).
- “Legal Issues for School Districts Related to the Education of Undocumented Children” (36 pages) Source: National School Boards Association and the National Education Association.
If your school district is considering issuing a resolution, please also see samples from other districts below as possible references.
- Austin ISD Resolution to create safe environments for all students. 2017. Available in Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese & Burmese.
- “Broward schools to immigrant students: ‘You’re safe with us’ “ Source: Caitlin McClade. August 29, 2017. Sun-Sentinel
- Broward County: Resolution Designating the School Board of Broward County, Florida, as an Inclusive, Safe and Welcoming District Ensuring a Protected Space and Environment for All Students Regardless of Immigration Status, Religion or Country of Origin to Learn and Thrive
- Denver Public Schools Board Resolution to Protect All Students Available in multiple languages. February 16, 2017
- Durham, NC: Resolution Opposing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Actions and the Deportation of Durham Public Schools Students
- FAQs on Safe Zone School Board Resolution Sample Language/Guidance Source: NEA EdJustice
- L.A. Unified Campuses as Safe Zones and Resource Centers for Students and Families Threatened by Immigration Enforcement, See also LA Unified Reference Guide. February 9, 2017
- Oakland CA USD Resolution Reaffirming District Facilities, Programs Are a Sanctuary for All Children and Adults, Resolution is available in multiple languages. December 14, 2016 OUSD is a “Sanctuary District”
- Sample Board Resolution on Immigration Safety. Source: NEA EdJustice
- San Antonio: Resolution to Reaffirm the Board’s Commitment to the Admission, Safety and Privacy of our Students, San Antonio ISD. February 13, 2017. See also“FAQs Concerning Immigration Status and Students in Public Schools”