- Coronavirus COVID-19: 8 Ethical Considerations for Social Workers Source: NASW
- Ethical Considerations: Counseling in a Virtual Setting Scott Carchedi with School Social Work Network (SSWN) noted: “This one was a little long and choppy, but there were some nuggets of helpful content. If you’re short on time, I recommend reading the FAQ summary from the webinar. ” Source: American School Counselors Association Thank you SSWN for this resource.
- FAQ Summary Regarding Virtual Counseling Ethics Source: ASCA
- Ethics in an Epidemic by Jim Raines, School Social Work Association of America (Jim has authored several books for Oxford Press on School Social Work ethics.) Friday, April 3, 2020. 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EDT ( I am checking to availability.)
- FERPA & Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Source: 3/2020. U.S. Department of Education.
- Is it legal to read books on-line? “Can Teachers Read Books Out Loud Online? Actually, Yes” Source: March 30, 2020. Ishmael, K.,Jacob,M.& Jaszi.P. EdSurge
Association of Social Work Boards Guidance
Information provided via Phil Koehl, former Illinois Association of School Social Workers (IASSW) Executive Director. He is also the Chairperson of the IDFPR SW Examining and Disciplinary Board (Illinois). 4/7/2020. Association of Social Work Boards.
- “Balancing ‘Essential’ With Safe and Ethical During COVID-19.” Part 1 ASWB Guidance for Social Workers as “Essential Workers”. (MSW students and instructors may want to check #5 regarding “field hours”. )
- “Balancing ‘Essential’ With Safe and Ethical During COVID-19.” Part 2 COVID-19 Telehealth: Providing Mental Health Support Safely, Ethically, and Competently
- Feds Weigh In On Special Ed, Medicaid Concerns Over Coronavirus Source: Michelle Diament | 3/13/2020 | Disability Scoop.
- OCR Short Webinar on Online Education and Website Accessibility – YouTube Source: Office of Civil Rights.
- OSEP guidance on virtual schools Source: 2016. U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education & Rehabilitative Services.
- Q & A on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Outbreak Source: 3/2020. U.S. Department of Education.
- Schools & Coronavirus: What You Should Know Source: NEA Today, 3/8/2020 Includes numerous links to CDC articles and other education organizations.
- SMART Goals Worksheet-Example The purpose of this handout is to assist an IEP team with making a SMART goal for a student’s IEP. The chart has an example that IEP teams can use to assist them in making a personalized SMART goal for a student. Source: Kevin Tan, University of Illinois
- Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Serving Children with Disabilities Source: 3/21/2020. U.S. Department of Education.
- Ethics in an Epidemic by Jim Raines, School Social Work Association of America (Jim has authored several books for Oxford Press on School Social Work ethics.)
SSWAA members still can access this webinar recording but will not be able to receive CEUs.
- Wading through a Sea of Ambiguity: Charting a Course for Special Education Services During a Pandemic WEBINAR Source: National Association of School Psychologists
Response Resources: NYSSSWA Membership Dollars At Work
The New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers in New York State. Members are essential to our ability to support you and our profession. If you are not a member, join us today so we can continue to provide advocacy and services on your behalf.