- Code of Ethics: NASW 2017 Revisions “On August 4, 2017, the NASW Delegate Assembly approved the most substantive revision to the NASW Code of Ethics since 1996.” Central to the updates include 19 new standards and revisions specific to ethical issues when using technology. Read the full Code or check out some of the Highlights.
- Coronavirus COVID-19: 8 Ethical Considerations for Social Workers Source: NASW
- Ethical Considerations: Counseling in a Virtual Setting Scott Carchedi with School Social Work Network (SSWN) noted: “This one was a little long and choppy, but there were some nuggets of helpful content. If you’re short on time, I recommend reading the FAQ summary from the webinar. ” Source: American School Counselors Association Thank you SSWN for this resource.
- FAQ Summary Regarding Virtual Counseling Ethics Source: ASCA
- Ethical Considerations for Responding to Social Injustice 10/14/2020 NASW
- Ethics in an Epidemic by Jim Raines, School Social Work Association of America (Jim has authored several books for Oxford Press on School Social Work ethics.) Friday, April 3, 2020. 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EDT ( I am checking to availability.)
- FERPA & Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Source: 3/2020. U.S. Department of Education.
- Is it legal to read books on-line? “Can Teachers Read Books Out Loud Online? Actually, Yes” Source: March 30, 2020. Ishmael, K.,Jacob,M.& Jaszi.P. EdSurge
- NASW Standards for School Social Work Services Source: 2012. NASW
- Supplemental Ethical Standards for School Social Workers Source: 2014 Midwest School Social Work Council, endorsed by SSWAA.
- Technology Standards in Social Work Practice “NASW partnered with ASWB, CSWE, and CSWA to develop a uniform set of technology standards for professional social workers to use as a guide in their practice.” p. 4. “These standards address a wide range of key concepts related to social workers’ use of technology.” p.9. Source: 2017. NASW, Council on Social Work Education, Association of Social Work Boards, Clinical Social Work Association.
- Ethics in an Epidemic by Jim Raines, School Social Work Association of America (Jim has authored several books for Oxford Press on School Social Work ethics.) SSWAA members still can access this webinar recording but will not be able to receive CEUs.
Association of Social Work Boards Guidance
Information provided via Phil Koehl, former Illinois Association of School Social Workers (IASSW) Executive Director. He is also the Chairperson of the IDFPR SW Examining and Disciplinary Board (Illinois). 4/7/2020. Association of Social Work Boards.
- “Balancing ‘Essential’ With Safe and Ethical During COVID-19.” Part 1 ASWB Guidance for Social Workers as “Essential Workers”. (MSW students and instructors may want to check #5 regarding “field hours”. )
- “Balancing ‘Essential’ With Safe and Ethical During COVID-19.” Part 2 COVID-19 Telehealth: Providing Mental Health Support Safely, Ethically, and Competently
Response Resources: NYSSSWA Membership Dollars At Work
The New York State School Social Workers’ Association (NYSSSWA) is the only professional association dedicated solely to the visibility and viability of School Social Workers in New York State. Members are essential to our ability to support you and our profession. If you are not a member, join us today so we can continue to provide advocacy and services on your behalf.